I have never cooked dandelion greens before so when I got them I took a little nibble off of a leaf to try it and man, was that bitter. I Googled around to find some recipes that sounded like they could offset the bitterness of these greens and I found two. This one with caramelized onions and this one with roasted beets. These greens were so bitter that I decided to combine the recipes in an attempt to increase the sweet ratio and cut more of the bitterness. Then I prayed it would be edible.
I used the cipollini onions for the caramelized onions because according to thekitchn.com you haven’t had caramelized onions until you’ve made them with cipollini onions. Score! I love being fancy on accident. I tasted them as I went along and it’s true, they are way less astringent than regular onions and caramelized very nicely. Just what I needed to cut the bitterness of those greens. I roasted the beets, wilted the greens and then put it all together. The final verdict was that it needed cheese. So I crumbled some feta on top. That was a last minute decision because as far as I’m concerned, cheese makes everything a little better. Those greens were still bitter but the combination of the bitter greens, caramelized onions, roasted beets and creamy, tangy cheese was actually pretty good. However, you won’t catch me in your front yard on all fours munching on your dandelions anytime soon.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1 bunch of small beets (about 5)
- 3 cipollini onions sliced thin
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove of garlic pressed
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 large bunch of dandelion greens
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place beets on sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; season with coarse salt. Wrap foil into a sealed pouch. Roast beets in the foil packet on a rimmed baking sheet (so beet juice doesn’t leak all over your oven) until they are done and easily pierced with a skewer, about 45 minutes. Carefully open pouch; when beets are cool enough to handle, rub off skins with paper towels. Halve beets (or quarter, if desired).
- While beets are roasting, heat 1 TBS oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden and has caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar; cook until vinegar is warm, about 1 minute.
- Add greens to the caramelized onion mixture and cook until wilted.
- Put wilted greens and caramelized onions on a serving dish and arrange roasted beets on top.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese.