I found this recipe for Swiss Chard & Lentils and made one small modification, I used chevre instead of goat cheese. I usually cook lentils in a soup but I figured I had enough soups going on for this installment so I tried them in this salad. I really enjoyed this method of preparing lentils. Cooking them with the sauteed onion and garlic gave them a ton of flavor and they kept their shape beautifully without being too hard. I will definitely be adding this to my rotation.
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup small-dice yellow onion(from about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 12 oz of Swiss chard or 1 bunch
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or chevre
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stir to combine, and add the water. Increase the heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender and the water has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends from the chard stems and discard. Cut off the stems at the base of the leaves and slice the stems crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in a small bowl and set aside. Stack the leaves, cut them in half lengthwise, then coarsely chop into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large frying or straight-sided pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the reserved chard stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chard leaves, measured salt, and measured pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the red wine vinegar and reserved lentil mixture until evenly combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the feta and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.