A lot of the breakfast places I like to go to serve salad as a side for breakfast but I just can’t do salad early in the morning. It’s all in my head but I just can’t process a green salad as breakfast food. But I CAN do sauteed greens.
Greens and eggs could be good but it’s even better with some cheesy, buttery polenta. Polenta is super easy to make, it’s cheap as hell and it’s basically the same thing as grits so it’s totally ok for breakfast.
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup of yellow corn meal
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, washed, chopped, stems removed
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- Heat oil in a saute pan over high heat until oil shimmers. Add chard and saute on high heat until wilted. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat water to a boil. Add in polenta/corn meal and stir frequently until thickened (should just be a couple minutes). Add butter and cheese to polenta and mix until cheese and butter are completely incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- In a small skillet heat oil over medium-high heat and add eggs. Cook them how you like them… sunny side up, over easy, etc.
- Serve polenta and chard on a plate topped with the fried egg. Enjoy!