First time making apple butter and I was blown away with how easy and delicious it is. This is officially my new favorite sweet treat. I have been putting it on everything I can think of. Toast, oatmeal, cheese and crackers, ham sandwiches (you can mix it with some mustard). This stuff is amazing. And did I mention how freakin’ easy it is to make? So incredibly easy. You will be wondering why you haven’t been making batches of this stuff to keep at home all along!
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of granulated white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Place chopped apples in a slow cooker and sprinkle with remaining ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 10 hours on “low” setting.
- Spoon cooked apples and accumulated juices into a blender and blend until a smooth “butter” forms.
- Pour into a jar and keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Put on top of toast, crepes, pancakes, yogurt, oatmeal or whatever else you can think of. There’s also no shame in eating it straight from the jar.