When thinking of a side for the Roasted Duck, roasted or mashed root veggies seemed to be the most obvious option. At first I thought it was going to be a kind of drab side dish but when I started picking through the bins at the farmer’s market I saw blue potatoes, purple carrots, white carrots and beets in many different colors. I pulled together an assortment of root veggies that would make Crayola proud. And it was going to be super easy.
Roasting root veggies is as easy as peeling, cutting and then tossing with oil, rosemary and salt and then popping it in the oven for a bit. Done. I’m going to write a recipe but it really is just that simple.
- 5lbs of assorted root vegetables (carrots, beets, potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga, etc)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- leaves from 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel carrots and beets. If the skin on the potatoes is thin, you can leave that on or peel it, whatever you prefer.
- Cut veggies into similar size pieces so that they will cook evenly but you can play with the shapes so that there is variety. Toss the cut veggies in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Pour veggies out onto baking sheet in a single layer and put in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are tender and done.
- Serve warm.