I used to hate beets when I was a kid. I think it was mostly due to the fact that the first beets I ever ate were the canned variety and let’s face it, fresh beets are just better. Now I’m a huge fan who just became an even bigger fan thanks to this recipe that uses the whole damn beet, tops and all!!
This recipe is something I made up on the fly so let me know what you think in th comments!!
- 3 small beets with tops
- 1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Salt to tatse
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Cut the tops off of the beets and wash them thoroughly.
- Wash the beets thoroughly and then peel the beets with a veggie peeler. Cut them into thin wedges and toss in a bowl with olive oil and a generous pinch of salt.
- Spread beets out on a baking sheet and roast for 10 – 20 minutes, depending on how thin you cut the beets.
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat the orange juice and oil over medium high heat. Whisk so that the oil dissolves into the juice. Let the sauce reduce until it starts to become syrupy.
- Add a pinch of salt an then add the beet tops. Cook the beet tops for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Add salt to taste and them remove to a serving dish. Let the sauce cook for another few minutes until reduced by half.
- Place hazelnuts in hot oven for a few minutes until fragrant and then wrap them in a kitchen towel and crush them with a kitchen mallet or a hammer or something blunt.
- Plate the roasted beets on top of the greens and then drizzle the sauce over top. Sprinkle toasted hazelnuts on top and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply