It was so hot that I didn’t even want to eat so sticking the melon in the Vitamix and turning it into a cool drink seemed like a great idea. I didn’t follow a recipe, I just worked things out as I went along. I started with the melon of course and then tasted as I went. I encourage you to do the same and play around with the proportions. Taste as you go is one of my favorite cooking mottos!
These melons that I’ve been getting are a special kind of melon called Anana Melons. You don’t normally see these in stores because they tend to have a shorter shelf life. You are more likely to find them at farmer’s markets or through your local CSA. I have gotten a couple of these over the summer and the peel or rind is much thinner than a commercially grown cantaloupe or honey dew melon. I was able to peel this one with a veggie peeler. This melon was also incredibly juicy and sweet so I didn’t need to add a bunch of extra liquid or sweetener to this smoothie. You might have to depending on your melon. Once again, taste as you go!!
Adapted from 3-4
- 1 three to five pound melon (anana, cantaloupe or honey dew)
- 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup to 1 cup of coconut water (depends on how juicy your melon is)
- Remove rind or peel and seeds from melon and cut into cubes or whatever is small enough to fit into your blender or food processor.
- Add fruit, yogurt and spices to the blender and blend until smooth adding as much coconut water as you need to get it to the desired consistency.
- Chill and then pour into glasses. Sprinkle a little cardamom on top for garnish.
- TIP: Put the melon and coconut water in the fridge overnight and then you won’t need to chill the drink after you blend it because it will already be cold.