The best part of this salad, as with many salads, is the dressing. I searched around for a recipe that used kumquats in a salad and when I read this dressing recipe I was sold! Plus I didn’t have to buy too many more ingredients for the rest of the salad which is always a plus.
Wash and core the apples and then blend in a food processor or blender with raw apple cider vinegar and lime juice. I really loved the bright green color of the dressing.
Slice the kumquats, toast the seeds and chop the kale.
Even thought I got baby kale and it should be a little more tender I went ahead and did the massaging step because I like my salads to have tender greens. You just pour the dressing over the kale and then stir it vigorously with a wooden spoon or you can massage it with your hands. Let it sit for at least 20 mins.
Add spring greens and edible flowers and toss with more dressing to taste. Add kumquats and pepita seeds beautifully on top like a boss and serve.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 bunch of baby kale
- 4 cups of mixed baby greens
- 1 cup of sliced kumquats (sliced into rounds)
- 3 Tablespoons toasted pepitas
- 1 Granny Smith apple or other tart green apple, core removed
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- The dressing should be made first. Purée 1 chopped Granny Smith apple (with cpeel), 1/4 cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice in a blender, occasionally scraping down sides of blender with a spatula, until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, pressing down on solids with spatula to extract all juice; discard solids.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon minced shallot and 1 teaspoon raw sugar.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil until well blended.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and dry kale and salad greens. Remove ribs from kale and chop. Put kale into a serving bowl and add a couple tablespoons of dressing and massage it into the kale to soften them up. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Add rest of greens. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top with kumquat slices and pepitas. Enjoy!