This was amazing! I had never grilled salad before and was a bit skeptical but more curious than anything. Grilling the lettuce gives it a different flavor and the blue cheese and bacon are reminiscent of a classic wedge salad… but better. My mom always loves to order a wedge salad when we go out and I am always surprised and reminded how good that combo of fresh, crispy ice berg lettuce, bacon and blue cheese is together. It has great balance. This grilled lettuce has similar ingredients and great balance too.
Adapted from Saveur
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, rinsed and dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1. Heat bacon in a 12″ skillet over medium heat, and cook, turning once, until crisp and fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate, reserving 2 tbsp. drippings, and let cool; crumble and set aside. Transfer reserved drippings to a bowl, and add oil, vinegar, and Worcestershire; whisk until smooth, and set dressing aside.
2. Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Working in batches, if necessary, place romaine halves cut-side down on grill, and cook, turning once, until charred and slightly wilted, about 4 minutes.
3. Transfer lettuce cut-side up to a serving platter, and season with salt and pepper; drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with reserved bacon and blue cheese.