I love the challenge of creating a full meal using as many ingredients from my CSA hauls as I can. I found this recipe for oven roasted salmon with potatoes, beets and fennel which used three different ingredients (I juiced some of the tangerines for the tapenade) and also put together a salad with the fresh lettuce and kale. I love looking down at a plate that is made up of so many local, seasonal ingredients. It also helps that it was completely delicious. Starting the salmon off on the stove gave it a delicious crispy skin on the bottom and that tapenade vinaigrette was perfect on both the veggies and the fish.
Adapted from Food Network
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound beets, tops removed, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 large head fennel, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slice
- 1 pound salmon filet
- 2 cups pitted nicoise olives
- 2 anchovies
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon orange or tangerine zest
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 1 small head of lettuce
- 1 small head of kale
- Blue cheese
- Dried fruit or nuts
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice or vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a plastic bag with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss and shake to coat. Pour onto 1 side of a cookie sheet. Place beets in same bag, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss and shake to coat. Pour onto same cookie sheet as potatoes, but keep divided. Place fennel in same bag with remaining teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss and shake to coat. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Cook all vegetables, turning once until golden and cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
- Place olives, anchovies, garlic cloves, orange zest and capers in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and combined. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Set tapenade aside.
- Place salmon, skin side down, in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook until fork tender and cooked through, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Distribute potatoes, beets and fennel among plates. Divide salmon into four pieces. Place one piece on each plate. Drizzle one tablespoon tapenade vinaigrette per plate over salmon and veggies.
- Chop kale into thin ribbons and chop lettuce into slightly larger ribbons. Or chop them however you like. I prefer the kale really thin because I like that texture but do what pleases you.
- Put in a bowl and mix with crumbled blue cheese, dried or fresh fruit, toasted nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- This is the formula I use for all salads and you should feel free to mix it up! Use other cheeses, whatever kind of nuts you prefer (just be sure to toast them because it’s just so much better), any kind of fruit (I was thinking about using Parmesan and tangerines or blue cheese and apples), play around with other citrus juices or vinegars, have fun with it.
- Toss, serve and enjoy!