This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever made. It is also one of my favorites. I got the idea from watching Foody Fetish videos with my roommate, Anne. It is not uncommon to find us in the kitchen, eating dinner, watching these outrageous food videos together. If you’re not familiar with Foody Fetish it’s an Instagram account that agregates recipe videos for such culinary masterpieces as mac and cheese pizza, cheese burger pie and chicken slider casserole. It’s mostly a lot of carbs and cheese layered with more carbs topped with cheese. I get constipated every time I watch these things but they are also very compelling and entertaining. Anne gets full credit for introducing me to Foody Fetish by-the-way! I’m not sure I would have stumbled upon this social media gem on my own.
Even though it’s not my kind of food and I feel like I needed a TUMS after I watched each video, I had to admit they are fun. And apparently this approach to food wormed its way into my brain. Recently, I wanted to make cornbread for a get together I was having and thought I’d make them into muffins to make it easier to serve. Then I had the great idea to throw some hot dog slices in there! You know, mix it up a little! I don’t think that idea would have popped into my head had I not known about sushi donuts or spaghetti waffles. So thank you Anne and thank you Foody Fetish 🙂
So here is a fun little guilty pleasure snack for you. It’s definitely way better for you than an actual corndog! You know, if you need a little convincing.
Serves 12 muffins
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of all purpose or Grist and Toll Spelt flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of veggie oil
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 hot dogs, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin pan or you can use paper muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar. I usually use a whisk to make sure it’s all well incorporated.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the egg and then add the veggie oil and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. You should have a batter that resembles thick pancake batter.
- Fold in the hot dog slices and mix to combine.
- Pour or scoop an equal amount of batter into each muffin cup. Bake in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with honey mustard.