As soon as I saw “Ahi Tuna” in my CSA email on Thursday I knew I was making Poke. I have a very good friend who is from Hawaii and she brought back some authentic Poke seasoning packets that I had been dying to use and now was the perfect opportunity. I also found a really nice dressing recipe for the red lettuce so I just combined the two. If you aren’t fortunate enough to have a Hawaiian friend to bring you packets of Poke seasoning then this recipe will give you the same results. I made mine into a salad so I could just have it as a meal. A very satisfying one at that.
Serves 2 to 3
- 2 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound of fresh Ahi tuna, the freshest you can find, skinned and cubed into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Pink salt
- 1 head of red lettuce
- Mix the first 9 ingredients in a bowl and set the salad dressing aside.
- In a medium size non-reactive bowl, combine Ahi, soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil, sesame seeds, chili pepper, and mix well.
- Chop red lettuce into rough pieces and mix with salad dressing.
- Separate salad onto plates and pile Ahi mixture on top of lettuce and serve immediately.