I was really excited about this corn when it showed up in my box. I hadn’t had corn in a while and it’s one of my favorite things to eat in the summer. I love corn soup, corn salad, I even made corn ice cream once… it was pretty amazing. I had a pretty demanding schedule this week so I was limited with what I could really do with the corn but I had all the ingredients to make elote so that’s what I did.
Why is this stuff so good? I love corn in general but something magical happens when it’s roasted and coated in mayonaise, spices, cotija cheese and lime juice. I mowed through these two ears of corn like I hadn’t eaten in WEEKS. And I wished I had more.
- 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup of shredded cotija cheese
- Pre-heat the broiler to Hi setting
- Peel off a strip of the husk of the corn or you can peel the whole thing off, up to you. Put the corn on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until it starts to brown and then turn the corn so that it gets a little roasted on each side.
- Take the corn out of the oven and set aside. Meanwhile, mix the spices and salt in a small bowl. Taste it and add more salt if you need.
- Peel the husk off of the corn if you left it on and then slather the mayo onto each ear of corn. Sprinkle each ear with the spice mix, roll it or sprinkle it with the cheese (depending on how much cheese you like) and then squirt it with some lime.