There were a few more familiar items in my first Sarvodaya Farms box. One of which was a ton of zucchini. I will admit that getting so much zucchini all the time has sort of decreased my like of zucchini. I’m just kind of sick of it! But that just means I get to try a little harder to make it into something that excites me. This time I felt like it was going to be a hearty, creamy, vegan soup.
A veggie puree is a great way to make use of veggies that you aren’t fully sure what to do with. You don’t even have to get this fancy with it to create a satisfying hearty soup. Have fun and play around with it!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 lbs of zucchini, sliced into evenly sized pieces
- ⅓ cup + 2 TBS pine nuts
- 4 cups of veggie stock
- ¼ cup of chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Toss sliced zucchini in a bowl with olive oil and salt to coat. Turn the zucchini out onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until they are soft with a littel brown on the edges.
- Heat oil on a medium high heat and add the onions, celery and garlic until they are starting to brown and caramelize a bit.
- Add the roasted zucchini to the pot and the veggie stock. Bring it up to a boil.
- Meanwhile, take ⅓ cup of the pine nuts and ⅔ cup of water and blend them in a high powered blender until it is smooth and creamy.
- Once the zucchini mixture comes up to a boil, add the basil and then either in the blender, blend the zucchini basil mixture in batches until the whole thing is pureed or you can use an emersion blender if you have one and add in the pine nut cream and blend it all together.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and some chopped basil.