I keep getting oranges and apples in my Farm Box and I’m kind of at a loss for what to do with them week after week. I have made everything I can think to make with them and the good ones I usually just eat raw as a self contained snack. But I’ll be honest, I’m starting to get bored with them. So I thought I’d try something fun and make a spicy, savory fruit salad and throw it in a lettuce cup.
I didn’t have any jalapenos or other peppers on hand so I looked through my pantry and my fridge and you know what I did have? What I always have? Sriracha! So I looked around on the internet for some recipes and found this one from Slimsanity and thought it sounded about right and I could even make it vegan by substituting the honey for agave syrup, which I also always have.
I made a few adjustments to the dressing, the most important one being, more sriracha. I needed this dressing to have serious kick and that one measly teaspoon wasn’t cutting it. But with a few adjustments it turned out to be the perfect dressing for these boring ole apples and oranges.
I added some cilantro and green onion to the mix and the only thing it was missing at this point was avocado. Avocado would take this up to the next level. I so wish I had had some on hand but all that means is that I just need to get my hands on more apples, oranges and some avocado so I can make this again. The lettuce cups were fun and a great vehicle for the fruit salad. I definitely enjoyed eating them this way although they were a tad messy since the dressing isn’t thick and does run a bit. Let me know what you think and if you made any fun adjustments and how it came out in the comments!
Adapted from Slimsanity
- 1 small head of lettuce, leaves pulled off, washed
- 2 medium sized oranges, peeled, separated into segments with segments cut in half
- 1 crisp, sweet apple, chopped into cubes
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons of agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons of sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger
- 1 Tablespoon of green onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put chopped oranges and apples in a bowl and toss. You want the orange juice to coat the apples so that they don’t turn brown. If you want you could also squeeze some lemon juice on the fruit. Set aside.
- In a blender (I have a Vitamix) put the garlic cloves, cider, agave syrup, sriracha, lemon juice, and ginger powder. Blend until completely liquefied. Then, with the blender on, slowly add the olive oil into the vinegar mixture. When all the olive oil has been incorporated, turn off blender and taste the dressing. Add more salt if needed (it probably needs it so add some).
- Pour dressing over chopped fruit and toss. Add cilantro and green onions and toss again to combine.
- Scoop a generous amount of fruit salad into the middle of each lettuce cup.