I got the most adorable little melon in my FarmBox. Why are smaller versions of things so cute? It was like a personal serving size melon. Just for me. But I had a people over so I figured I’d share the love and combine forces with the nectarines to make something entertaining worthy.
I mean, look how cute that little melon is! I can’t! I didn’t bother looking up a recipe, I decided just to wing it instead. I am a pretty good cook so I can do that.
These little melons have pretty thin skin so I chose to just peel them with a veggie peeler. Made it easier to cut it up into quarters for sure.
I got this mandolin a few years ago for Christmas and I love it. It comes in way more handy than I ever thought it would.
I sliced up the nectarines too and they made these pretty thin ribbons. I mixed up some honey and lemon to pour over the fruit to give it a little extra zing and then I got the crazy idea to chop up pistachios with cardamom and sugar and sprinkle it over the top. It took this fruit salad to a whole other level. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 1 small honey dew melon or ananas melon
- 3 ripe nectarines (you can use peaches too but make sure to peel them)
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 cup of pistachio meats
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- If the rind of your melon is very thin and soft, go ahead and peel it with a veggie peeler and then quarter and seed it. Otherwise, quarter and see the melon and then cut the rind off with a paring knife.
- Halve, twist and remove pit from nectarines.
- Slice the melon and nectarines on the thinnest setting of a mandolin or slicer or you can do it by hand if you have to but that would suck. Toss in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the lemon juice and honey in a small bowl and then drizzle over the fruit.
- Put the pistachio meats, cardamom and sugar into a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped.
- Plate the fruit in a nice mound onto individual plates and then sprinkle the pistachio mixture over top. Enjoy!