The name of this recipe might be a little deceiving. The artichokes are actually steamed first THEN grilled. That’s because they take a while to cook and they’d be charcoal if you left them in the grill for the amount of time you need to get them right. Plus, steaming first ensures they will be nice and moist after a couple minutes on the grill. After all, who wants to eat a dry and dusty ass artichoke??
First things first, you will need to halve the chokes and then scoop out the furry bit and the tiny spiky purple leaves in the center. Just trust me, you don’t want this shit getting caught in your throat. It’s gross.
The chokes take about 20 minutes to steam and get nice and tender. Then they will go on a very hot grill for a couple minutes, just to get some sexy grill lines and a little smoke flavor in them. You also want to slather the cut side with olive oil and a pinch of salt before you put them on the grill so that they pick up some more flavor and don’t stick.
You could totally stop here but I didn’t. I quartered these puppies and then drizzled them with my favorite and easiest mustard dressing. Check it out here and then pour it on all your veggies and salads. It has the power to take dishes to the next level. Or top it with your favorite dressing or sauce and share in the comments!!
Serves 2-4 people
- 2 large artichokes, halved
- 2 lemon wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Dressing (see link below)
- Take each artichoke half and scoop out the furry bit in the heart of the choke. Also remove the very tiny and spiky leaves in the center.
- Put about an inch or two of water in the bottom of a steaming pan or pot. Add the garlic, bay leave and lemon wedges. Heat water to a boil and then place a steamer basket over the boiling water with the artichoke halves. Cover and steam them for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chokes from the steamer and slather the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over each cut half of the articoke. Then sprinkle each choke with a pinch of salt.
- Heat the barbeque grill to high and place the artichokes on the grill cut side down.
- After about 3-5 minutes, rotate the chokes 90 degrees. Let them grill for another 3-5 minutes and then remove from the grill.
- Drizzle with the Mustard Dressing and serve hot.