This is not hyperbole, this dressing really is that good and you know what makes it even better? You can switch it up in so many ways so it’s really several bomb-ass creamy vegan dressings in one. You’re welcome! I originally got this recipe from Bon Appetit and have played around with it and have come up with what I think is a pretty phenomenal formula for creamy vegan dressing.
This dressing is basically and emulsion of oil in fruit, juice and vinegar. I love how it’s so creamy and tangy at the same time and it makes good use of any apples or pears that I know I won’t get around to eating. I encourage you to play around with it and add your own twist and see if you can come up with some other totally new and inspired versions of this. Post it in the comments and have fun with it!
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 pear or apple of any variety
- 2 Tablespoons of miso paste
- 3 Tablespoons of vinegar, any variety
- 2 teaspoons of citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit)
- 5 peppercorns (black, white, pink)
- 1/2 cup of oil, any flavor or variety
- Halve and core the pear or apple you are using. Slice one half into thin slices to put into the salad or you can cut it into chunks if you prefer. The other half should be roughly chopped and put into a blender.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of miso paste to the blender. You can use different kinds of miso paste; red, white, yellow, etc. Each different kind will give the dressing a different flavor so play around with it.
- Add the 3 Tablespoons of vinegar to the blender with the fruit and miso paste. You can use all kinds of vinegars for this. I have used red wine, white wine, champagne, and sherry vinegar for this. I think that rice vinegar, balsamic and apple cider vinegars would also be fun.
- Add the zest and peppercorns to the blender with the fruit, miso paste, vinegar and blend it up into a smooth liquid.
- With the blender on, slowly drizzle in the oil. You should see it start to thicken up as you pour out the last drops of oil.
- Taste and adjust salt to taste.
Here are also some flavor combos that I think might be fun. Some are suggestions and some are things I’ve tried:
Gala apple, apple cider vinegar, white miso paste, lemon zest, pink peppercorns, olive oil
Bosc pear, sherry vinegar, white miso paste, grapefruit zest, red peppercorns, grapeseed oil
Granny Smith Apple, balsamic vinegar, red miso paste, orange zest, black peppercorns, olive oil
Fuji apple, white wine vinegar, white miso paste, 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon chopped taragon, lemon zest, white peppercorns, olive oil
Can you see where I’m going with this? Now you try!